Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Upstream


Joshua 3:14-17 So when the people broke camp to cross the Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them. Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water's edge, the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea [a] ) was completely cut off. So the people crossed over opposite Jericho. The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground.
I was in bible study this week and our leader brought up this passage. It really hit me for some reason. The priests had to take that step of faith. They had to trust that the Lord was working on things upstream. That is a really hard thing to do. I am not even sure that my little pinky toe would touch that water. They had the entire nation of Israel watching from the shore and they had to take that step of faith in front of all of them. How easy do you think that was? How easy is it for you? Do you trust that the Lord is working upstream for you?...that He has it all covered for you?...that when you take that step He will be there to make it all work out? I have to admit that this is something that I deeply struggle with. It is hard to just blindly trust that the Lord has got it covered. I can't see Him working upstream. I only see the water in front of me.

No comments: